- Dayavihar Degree College is located in the bank of the historical river Daya in Kanas Block of Puri District in the state of Odisha. Its establishment is between 20.0843N Latitude to 85.69025E Longitude.
- The college is situated in a rural retreat at a distance of 37kms from Puri, the district headquarters and 55kms from the state capital Bhubaneswar and 14kms from Kanas Road under the East Coast Division of Indian Railway.
- The general ambience of the college reminds the Satyabadi Banavidyalaya, a man manufacturing Industry of Pancha Sakha in General and Utkalmani Pandit Gopabandhu Das in particular.
History of the College
Dayavihar Degree College situated at the bank of the river Daya in the district of Puri has been imparting education since its inception in the year 1990. The college has given paramount importance to quality education in the rural areas of Kanas Block. The general ambience of the college creates a good environment for teaching learning process that attracts students of and out of the district to its academic atmosphere.
Way back to 1990, a group of educationists and social workers conceived the idea of opening a college in Dayavihar. The so called founder of the college SJ.Subash Chandra Gajendra brought the dream into reality in the same year. Since then, the college has been passing through various ups and downs and achieving success beyond imagination.
The college started functioning with 128 seats in Arts in the year 1990. B.Sc with teaching facilities in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Botany & Zoology opened in the year 1994. The college got Affiliation to Utkal University for Arts in 1990-91 with 128 seats with optional subjects like Eng, Mil(o),History, Pol-sc, Odia and Economics. In 1992 more subjects such as Sanskrit, Geography and Education were added. To our credit the college extended its seats to 192 in Arts in the same year. In 2007-08 honours courses in Odia, Sanskrit, Geography and Education were started. Commerce with 64 seats was opened in the year 2010 and Honours courses in History, Botany and Mathematics were started.. In the year 2016-17 all pass subjects of Arts, Science & Commerce Stream were converted to honours courses and seats strength in Science Stream increased from 96 to 128.
The college has completed 30 years of its glorious existence with various achievements. In 2017 The NAAC has also accredited the college at ‘B’ level. It has also been funded by RUSA for its infrastructure development. The Academic achievements of the college is praiseworthy. Since 2012 the students of this college stand at the Top of the list of different subjects of Utkal University’s Final Degree Examination. The sustainable growth of the college attracts students from every nook and corner of the state. It has yet miles to go to meet its set goal.
- Dayavihar Degree College Cherished to full fill the following aims and objectives.
- To create good academic excellence in a rural area like Kanas.
- To enable students to compete in state level and National Level Competitive Exams.
- To prepare students to join higher institution of their choice in India and abroad.
- To enable students to stand on their own feet holding posts in different offices.
- To develop a feeling of community like with love, compassion, fellow feelings for their college mates during their stay in the college.
To impart quality education to the rural youth of this locality with affordable fee and provide ample scope and opportunities by introducing different kinds of skill oriented progrrammes.
To enhance the employability of the pass out students. Vision for 2025 is to produce graduates with proper attributes with social responsibilities, commitment, with good ethic and to bring innovative changes in the teaching learning process in the palace of traditional teaching practices by implementing latest teaching learning tools in the campus.
To empower the students ensuring physical, moral, intellectual and spiritual development though quality education and make this college a hub of learning and research and enable and the students to stand on their own feet.
- To achieve national goal and update the knowledge of students through teaching learning process.
- To achieve students satisfaction though interactive and supportive teaching, feedback and evaluation system.
- To provide adequate infrastructure, well equipped laboratory and advance teaching learning materials.
- To motivate students to take active participation in different social, cultural, sports and nation building activities, to be more sociable and to extend the support for the needy people of the society.
- To allow the students to prepare presentation in power point in internal/departmental seminars, to be more confident in his/her subjects, how to face via-voice, how to develop the writing and communicative skills to compete with the current job market.
- To inculcate in the students a sense of social responsibility though extension activities.
- To provide quality higher education in this region.
- To promote vocational competence and professional excellence through the implementation of need-based programmes to face the emerging challenges in changing global scenario.
- To adopt a holistic approach for social justice irrespective of gender, caste, color or creed.
- To patronize multidisciplinary research.
The emblem is the mirror of the college. The college has a unique emblem in the shape of a circle with a burning lamp at the crest that manifests the sole objective of the college. The burning lamp suggests dispelling of the darkness of ignorance and prevailing of the light of learning. The open book symbolizes the spared of unquenchable quest for learning in a rural area. The floating boat is the symbol of modern navigation, communication and economic development through maritime Trade. The missile justifies the necessity of the advance of science and technology in the present world that allures the students to adhere science in higher education.
The cluster of paddies explicitly indicates the respect to the farmers. It also inspires the students to focus their career in agriculture. As lotus blossoms out of mud. The lotus in the emblem of the college aims at producing good students with noble humanitarian qualities in a backward and neglected area like Kanas in Puri Distirct. It also indicates the location of the college by the river Daya, an eyewitness of the Historic Kalinga War.
Dayavihar Degree College , a leading private college in Puri District, has been imparting quality education since its inception in the year 1990. The overall managerial is guided by the governing body formed according to the guidelines of higher education department, Govt of Odisha. The accounts committee regulates the financial transaction of the college. Similarly, the admission committee takes decision in admission matters, academic committee in academic matters and the exam committee regarding examination and so on. The principal being the head of the institution is responsible for general administration, academic and financial activities of the college.
Different committees manage the co-curricular and extra-curricularactivities.The principal maintains confidential record on the performance of the teaching, non-teaching and ministerial staff.
Besides that, the college has 8 rooms engaged for administrative infrastructure. The college stands in an area of 5.92 acres of Land. The College has halls and rooms for theory classes. Our college has laboratories for practical classes. The college also has a computer lab at big play ground, a big pond, a GYM Khana and attractive gardens to glory the beauty of the college.